Ontario has moved up the first step of its reopening plan to this Friday, June 11th, 2021. This will allow non-essential retail stores, bars, restaurants and motorsports facilities to open this weekend. The government had previously set a target date of June 14th, 2021 to begin the three-step reopening plan but it has opted to move the date up as Ontario reported 525 new cases of ‘the virus‘, the lowest single-day number since September 27th, 2020.
Allowed as of this weekend:
- Outdoor gatherings for up to 10 people
- Outdoor dining for up to 4 people per table
- Non-essential retail at 15 per cent
- Outdoor sports, training and personal training for up to 10 people
- Day camps, campsites, campgrounds, Ontario parks
- Outdoor horse racing and motor speedways
- Outdoor pools, splash pads and wading pools
Tracks like 3S Sutton and Goodwood Kartways have allowed lapping sessions for private kart owners, such as former PRO teammates Ploder and Picerno (below). They’ve been out on track, shaking off the cobwebs.
This weekend, Daniel Demaras and New Speed Motorsports will be on track for the first time in 2021, with shakedown and practice sessions set for Saturday and Sunday.