On Saturday December 4th 2021, Demaras Racing put its team truck on the road to collect food donations from the East York area, as part of a larger food drive called the Toronto Miracle. It was a chance to give back to the community, and do some good during the holiday season when food insecurity is felt so acutely.
Sadly, Demaras Racing has received an email from the organizers of the Toronto Miracle indicating that the charity food drive will not run this Christmas, delayed until 2023.
Hello Toronto Miracle Supporter:
Over the last two years, you and thousands of other caring Torontonians have taken part in Toronto Miracle. Together we have collected almost 500,000 lbs of food items to support our neighbours facing food insecurity.
We are so proud of what we have accomplished with you.
Toronto Miracle began with a small group of volunteers who wanted to help community members struggling with food insecurity during the first year of the pandemic. We saw such a tremendous response from people (like you!) who wanted help and an incredible need for food by our partners that we decided to do it again in 2021.
We understand that the need for food in our city continues to grow. Our agency partners continue to serve a staggering and increasing number of clients – our help is vital.
To ensure that we can support this network better and seamlessly bring together our volunteer and donor network, we will be running Toronto Miracle in Spring 2023. Over the next few months, we will be strengthening the foundation of our processes, technology and, most importantly, our core volunteer team so we can make another Miracle happen!
We hope you continue to support our agency partners this year in any way possible. Please consider:
- Dropping food items in the donation bin at the grocery store
- Reaching out to our partners for volunteer opportunities
- Making a monetary donation
- Holding your own food drive on your street, at your work or in your condo, to collect food donations and deliver them directly. Please feel free to use the Toronto Miracle Facebook group to connect with other volunteers who might be interested in helping out. You’re also welcome to access the communications materials in the Resources area of our website and adapt them to your needs.
Check out their sites for more ways to support and connect with them directly:
- Daily Bread Food Bank
- North York Harvest Food Bank
- Scarborough Food Security Initiative
- The Salvation Army Ontario Division
- Second Harvest
Toronto Miracle is 100% volunteer powered including, the core team that organizes the event. From recruiting volunteers, collecting food or training team captains – we’re all here because we believe we can make a difference in the city we love. Again, thank you so much for supporting Toronto Miracle.
Making the decision to slow down to speed up was not an easy one, but we know, based on our resources, it was the right one. With that said, we can’t wait to see you in 2023.