Driving along historic Route 66, the Chrysler 300’s thirsty V8 pushed the needle on the gas gauge closer to ‘E’ with each mile. Up ahead, the pale yellow gas station had fuel for 17¢ a gallon. Too good to be true.
Pulling up behind the late model Corvette at the pump, the small chalkboard sign with ‘Out of Gas’ scribbled on it told only only told half the story.
Built in 1915, the 100+ year old building hasn’t been a gas station since 1971. But since being restored in 2015 the Cucamonga Service Station (now museum) has been recognized Route 66 landmark.
The Service Station was originally one of thousands of similar service stations along the route. Today, it is the only surviving Spanish Colonial style service station of its design on Route 66 in California.
Plans have been drawn up to rebuild the garage which used to stand behind the service station (but collapsed in 2011). But at this time, the old Ridgefield gas and oil company filling station serves as a reminder to travelers along the route what the thriving town of Rancho Cucamonga used to look like more than a century ago.