Is this an olive branch of peace and reconciliation in the ongoing issues between Goodwood Kartways and Mosport Karting Centre? The Motomaster Ron Fellows series announced their race dates a week after the KartStars series set their calendar. Considering that MRFKC has chosen to run Bridgestone rather than Vega tires, and rejected KartStars ‘national’ rule set, it was widely expected that MRFKC events would overlap with KartStars events, forcing competitors to choose between A or B. That didn’t happen.
- May 16-17, 2020 – KartStars Round 1 (Goodwood Kartways)
- May 23-24, 2020 – MRFKC Round 1 (Mosport)
- June 6-7, 2020 – MRFKC Round 2 (Hamilton)
- June 20-21, 2020 – KartStars Round 2 (Innisfil Indy)
- July 4-5, 2020 – KartStars Round 3 (Point Pelee Karting)
- Aug 2, 2020 – MRFKC Round 3 (TBA)
- Aug 14-16 2020 – Nationals (KartStars & Mosport) TBA
- Aug 30, 2020 – MRFKC Round 4 (Hamilton)
- Sept 12, 2020 – KartStars Round 4 (Goodwood Kartways)
- Sept 20, 2020 – MRFKC Round 5 (Mosport)
Respected race director Rob Oakman combined the TRAK, MIKA, KartStars and MRFKC schedules in one chart (below) which helped identify potential conflicts in the schedules.
On the negative side, racers would have to choose which ‘club’ series they will race, are there are 6 conflicts between club events and provincial series events. However, the positive observations were that racers can compete in all KartStars and MRFKC events without any overlap. The only area of concern is for “Nationals” which is listed on both calendars as occurring on August 14 to 16.
Mosport Kartways lists the location of the National Championship event as TBD, while Goodwood Kartways has a KartStars National Championship event penciled in at Goodwood Kartways. Neither of the two tracks can lay claim to a true national championship event; only a national sanctioning body can grant such a title. With ASN Canada’s resignation as the FIA representative, the Canadian karting scene is in turmoil, and until the new FIA representative is selected by April 1 2020, disputes over who’s Nationals are the Nationals will continue. Could the “TBA” location on Mosport’s calendar allow for co-operation between the two camps? Will Goodwood Kartways be the home of the National Championship in 2020, or will a new location be selected, far from the conflicts of these two clubs? There is still hope for the season…